Can I join family permanently living in the UK? If you are not from the European Economic Area, or Switzerland, you will require a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you want to join a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently for 6 months or more.

You will not require a ‘family of a settled person’ visa to visit your family for up to 6 months, however you may need a Family Visitor Visa and you should check this.

Am I eligible for a family of a settled person visa?

In order to be eligible for the visa, your family member must be:

  • Be a British citizen
  • Have settled in the United Kingdom
  • Have obtained asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

You must also prove that:

  • You are aged 18 or over, (unless making an application as a child)
  • You have a genuine relationship with your family member is and that this relationship is recognised in the UK. For example, your marriage must be a legal marriage in your home country
  • You intend to continue living with your family member or partner in the UK after your application (This does not apply if you’re a parent with access rights and have come to look after your child)
  • You or your family member can accommodate and support you and any dependent children that come with you whilst you are in the UK, or that you meet the financial requirement
  • You and your family have an adequate place to live whilst in the UK
  • You have a good knowledge of the English language if you’re 18 or over . This does not apply if you’re applying as an adult dependent relative

Who can I join under a family of a settled person visa?

  • If you are eligible to apply for this visa, you can apply to
  • join a partner (this could be a spouse, fiancé or civil partner)
  • join a parent or parents
  • come to the UK look after your child
  • come to the UK be looked after by family

Are there any exceptions to this?

However, the process might not be as straightforward and no may need to apply in a different way where:

  • Your partner is from the EEA
  • You are inside the UK at the time of application
  • You are looking to reunite with a partner or parent who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

How long will the process take?

You will normally receive a decision on your visa application within 12 weeks. You can also check the visa processing times guide here to find out how long getting a visa could take in your own country.

What can I do with a ‘family of a settled person’ visa?

With a family of a settled person visa you are legally entitled to work in the UK unless your visa is for the purpose of entering into a marriage or civil partnership.

You are also able to undertake courses of study with this visa. However, you are unable to receive any public funds for yourself or any of your dependants.

Can I extend my family of a settled person visa?

It may be possible for you to extend your family of a settled person visa or even to make an application to settle in the UK permanently. This will depend on circumstance.

Specialist Immigration Advice

Our specialist immigration team at Sultan Lloyd Solicitors offer expert legal advice on all immigration law matters. If you need more information please contact us either on on: 01212482850, email: [email protected], or click here to make an online enquiry and one of our team will get back to you as quickly as they can.

Enquire today