If you have lived lawfully in the UK for a period of five years and have had Indefinite Leave to Remain for at least twelve months, it may be possible for you to apply for British citizenship.
The following requirements must be met:
The Full Capacity Requirement
- You must be of sound mind in order to qualify for British citizenship.
The Residence Requirement:
- You must have been in the UK at the beginning of the five year period ending at the date of application;
- You must have not been absent from the UK for more than 450 days during this period;
- You must have not been absent from the UK for more than 90 days during the last 12 months;
- There must have been no time limit on your permission to stay for at least the past 12 months;
- You must have not been in breach of immigration laws during the 5 year period.
If you are in the UK on the basis of your marriage to a British citizen, the qualifying period is reduced to three years. The allowed number of absences is also reduced accordingly.
The Good Character Requirement:
- You must show that you are of good character.
- The Knowledge of Life in the UK and Language Requirement:
- You must demonstrate that you have sufficient knowledge of life in the UK and of the English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic language.
- In order to meet this requirement, you must successfully pass the ‘Life in the UK’ test. This is a multiple choice test, which you can sit at various test centres around the UK.
- The Future Intentions Requirement is that you must show that you intend to make the UK your main home.
If your application is successful, you will be invited to attend a citizenship ceremony organised by your Local Authority. You will then receive a Certificate of Naturalisation.
Contact Sultan Lloyd Solicitors
If you have any queries regarding British citizenship, call us on: 01212482850, email: [email protected], or click here to make an online enquiry.
We are open from 9am till 5.30pm, Monday to Friday. If you work full time and can’t see us during the week, we offer pre-arranged Saturday appointments for your convenience.